Design Detergent: Coming clean with our notions and ideas.
I’ve always been a visual kind of guy. Even as a kid I would express myself with pictures rather than words; my favorite toys were Lite Brite and Etch-A-Sketch for sure. I would also arrange my Hot Wheels collection by color palette (well, that may have been my OCD flaring up). So, a career in graphic design was a no-brainer. One of the best parts of being a designer is collaborating with photographers. With 15 years in this industry, I’ve worked with several outstanding ones. One really stands out: Robert Lisak. We’re going on two decades now of partnering as art director and photographer. With Robert, it’s not about his camera; it’s about his eye. He’s able to see beyond what is in front of him and capture something more engrossing and riveting. Recently, the two of us shot (not literally) the wonderful folks at Savoy Associates, a new client of HDG. It was an eventful 2-day shoot due to our short shooting schedule, combined with a long shot-list. Like any resourceful duo, we worked off each other’s strengths—ideas flowed with originality and inventiveness, plus there were a few good laughs along the way. I’m looking forward to next month, as we’re headed to CT to photograph the students at Sacred Heart Academy, one of my favorite clients. I’m eager to see what we create for their new viewbook. Although we have a good idea of what needs to be shot, it’s those unplanned moments of reality we capture that really makes the end product so valuable. Well, if you’re in the DC area over the next few months, Robert has an exhibit “The Flowering Cross: Holy Week in an Andean Village” at the Embassy of Peru, 1700 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036. Check it out if you can. Till next time…
- We’re moving to a new location!
- World-Class Brochure, Rapid Turnaround, Very Happy Client
- Meet our new team member, Annemarie Dodenhoff
- Philadelphia Zoo Launches Its New Website
- HDG is growing! We welcome another graphic designer to the team.
- The Content Development Challenge!
- First Impressions Count with LinkedIn
- Improve your prospective student to applicant conversion rate!
- Is your marketing partner up to the challenge that social media now presents?
- You’ve got to look good to compete with social!
- Carl Stoltenberg
- Diane Savoy
- Doodie Meyer
- Peter Gialloreto
- Dori Urqhart
- Eiran Lowrey
- Jeff Ciocci
- Jo Singer